Friday, August 14, 2020

"A Woman of Color"

So I've got this question:  Is a "Woman of Color" the same thing as a "Colored Woman?"  And similarly, is a "Community of Color" a "Colored Community?"  And is a "Colored Man" a Man of Color?"  And are "People of Color" the same thing as "Colored People?" 

Why are we wasting all those prepositions?

I'm not real smart so I don't stay up with all the latest names we mere mortals are permitted to call each other now without getting in trouble with the Speech Police, or getting  - Heaven-forbid - "cancelled," so I need help from you, my trusty readers.

You'll have to cut me some slack, fellow Pilgrims.  When I was coming up back in the Midwest we called "Black" people either "Negroes" or "Colored."  And they called themselves either "Negroes" or "Colored."  For that's what they were.  And folks like me were called "Caucasians."  For that's what we were.  We were not called "White," just as our "Black" friends were not called "Black."  And "Indians" (now officially "Indigenous Personages") were not called "Red," and the Chinese and Japanese and Koreans were not called "Yellow."

In fact, until a few Black Olympic athletes stood with their fists high in the air at a medal ceremony in Mexico City, proclaiming their "Black Power," using the term "Black" for Black people was a major league No-No.

But I've been assaulted over the past day or so with the term "Woman of Color" at least 300 times.  That term has been used all over the "MainStreamMedia" to describe Joe Biden's new V.P. running mate, Kamala Harris.  And she is.  A "Woman of Color," that is.  But she's also a "Colored Woman."  Just as a "Community of Color" is a "Colored Community," and a "Man of Color" is a "Colored Man."  And torturing the English language to within a semi-colon of its very life to try and make the term more important, or more exalted, or more socially acceptable just doesn't get it with me.  

BTW, Kamala Harris is not an "African-American."  She's an "Asian American."  Her mother is from India, a part of the Asian Subcontinent, and her father is from Haiti.  No Africans anywhere in her curriculum vitae.  Well, except for the fact that her father's relative, a guy named Hamilton Brown, owned about 200 African slaves back in the early 1800's, that is.  And several plantations.  He even has a town named after him ("Brown's Town").  So her people have owned more slaves than my people.  Should I be jealous?  And I don't know whether she gets a hyphen with that "Asian American" thing, either, so let me know if you have a clue.

And BTW again, how'd "African-Americans" get two names...and a hyphen?  Do I instantly become an "Irish-American?"  No.  No, I don't.  Because I'm not special, like "African-Americans," I guess.  Is it just me, or do you think these folks should either choose to be an "American," or choose to be an "African," but not both?  Either or, they should choose.  And at the very least, lose the hyphen!

And on my way out the digital door, you'll recall that Ms. Harris' Party has continually accused Trump of being both racist and sexist.  However, you might want to remember that she was chosen for this "historical honor" to run for Vice President based solely on her race and her sex...

So I'd like to know if I have the freedom to call Ms. Harris a "Colored Woman?"  And if not, why not?  After all, I'm a "Colored Man!"  Beige, my friends, is a color...

(BTW, it's a true joy to be able to write exactly what I think, whenever I think it, without fear of losing my job or being socially ostracized.  I'm retired and live alone, so that fate has already befallen me.  Plus, I have a rapier wit and am willing to unleash it against all foes foreign and domestic.  And I'm also armed and considered extremely dangerous.  So whaddaya' gonna' do to silence me, commie pinko left-wing weenies?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chuckmeister welcomes comments. After I check them out, of course. Comment away!