Monday, January 2, 2023

"It Is What It Is"

It just might surprise some of my less well read compatriots out there that the above phrase "It is what it is," was first penned by one William Shakespeare in a sonnet more than 500 years ago.

It was then dredged up back in the 1980's when a few sports "stars" sought reasons to escape blame for less than spectacular performances.  

And now, it appears that everyone with a limited vocabulary (and I.Q.?) utter it seemingly non-stop.  And to me it's like fingernails on a blackboard.  I simply abhor it, as well as other equally ignorant ways to butcher the English language.

Ya' want some more?  Okay, here goes.

I hate the term, "Whatever."  As in, "Meh..."  And "My bad," as opposed to saying, "I'm sorry, I apologize."

And also "No problem."  That's a lazy way to say, "It's okay, you're a dolt, but I forgive you."  Weak.    

And "Like."  That's a way some of us try to glue two sentences together without giving the other party a chance to speak.  The same with, "Ya' know."  

But my all time favorite is, "Nomsayin?'" Stop saying that!  And all the other lazy phrases that give us an insight into one's intellect.

And not a very good one.

So as we rush headlong into a problem-fraught 2023, which neither you nor I can do a damn thing about, I'd just like us all to clean up our language.  Speak as if you're as educated as I know you are.  Just stop being lip-lazy, and simulfriggintaneously, make others think you're smart.  

Whether you are or not.

And "Not for nothing," it would be totally "Awesome" if you did, but "No worries" if you don't...

  

1 comment:

  1. And if you literally want to have cause for upset, or a meltdown, look up the definition for "literally." It will literally upset you greatly, or blow you away.

    ReplyDelete

The Chuckmeister welcomes comments. After I check them out, of course. Comment away!