Saturday, June 12, 2021

"The Taking of Pelham 123"

I was rambling around the program guide on the TV the other day and lit upon "The Taking of Pelham 123."

You may recall this movie as fondly as I do.  The original was made back when they made good movies.  1974 produced a number of fine films, this being only one.  Pelham "1" starred Walter Matthau, Robert Shaw, Hector Elizondo and Martin Balsam.  A crisply drawn script and a compelling backdrop, plus a killer cast, make this a great way to blow a couple of hours.

Pelham "2," the re-make, opened in theaters in 2012.  It starred Denzel Washington, John Travolta, Luis Guzman, John Turturro and James Gandolfini.  What a troupe!  I thought, "Why not lose myself in a real popcorn-munching, shoot-em-up action movie?"  I mean, I've been locked away in my humble abode for more than a year awaiting permission from Boy Guv to leave.  So I really needed some good ol' fashioned entertainment.  And Pelham "2" promised to deliver exactly that.

I pushed "record" and gave it not another thought.  And then when time came to play it back, I noticed I'd recorded it on "BET."  That stands for "Black Entertainment Channel" I came to find out.  Ummm, yeah.  

I thought that was more than strange.  And a little bit in-your-face unconstitutional-ly pandering.  To the owner, Bob Johnson's other fellow Blacks.  Us against them and all that.  I'm sure that's good business for Mr. Johnson.  But it's blatantly racist, so far as I am concerned.  

And I also wasn't aware that this was a "Black" movie?  Just because it had a Black lead actor it became a "Black" movie?  When did that happen?  Pullleeeezzz!

How about this?  How about we start the "White Entertainment Channel?"  Would that go over well?  And then show only movies starring White folks.  And then the "National Association for the Advancement of White People."  And there's gotta' be a "White Studies Professor" at Berkeley, right?  And how about the "United Caucasian College Fund?"  Like that?  And the "Congressional White Caucus?"  You knew there's a "Congressional Black Caucus" in the House of Representatives, didn't you?  It's open only to Black people.  Ummm, what?  In 2021 America there's a group of Congressweenies who will only allow members with their own skin color to join.  That's racist, of course, but it's right out in the open, so what's the big deal?

Oh yeah, the "Congressional Black Caucus" is made up only of Democrats.  No Republicans allowed.  We know that.  Representative Bobby Donald of Florida, a Republican, and Black, tried to join the other day.  They wouldn't let him in... 

Want me to stop?  And then we'll throw in the "White Entertainment Awards."  I'm killing me (and others may be plotting to do the same)!!!  And maybe the White Farmers of America, and the "White Bartenders Guild?"  Oh yeah, and...   

I've got many, many more, but I think you've gotten the idea.  It would seem to me that we could go a long way toward peace and harmony if we just stopped separating ourselves along racial lines.  Like we did before last May.  

I suggest we stop using racial descriptors like "Black" or "Hispanic" for all things except in criminal cases.  And let's stop using "African-American."  Are they African, or are they American?  Or at least, how about "American-African?"  Seems better to me somehow.  I mean, we say "American Indian," don't we?  Oh wait, I guess we no longer use that term.  It's racist or something.  It's now "Indigenous Personages" I believe.  

Confusing, yes?  It was made so by those who are doing their dead level best to divide us along racial lines so they can gain, and keep, power.  And we know who they are.  Let's defang them.  Let's take away their power.  Let's just stop using race to describe each other.  At all.  Okay?     

You do that for me and I won't start the "White Entertainment Channel..."

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chuckmeister welcomes comments. After I check them out, of course. Comment away!