Sunday, March 24, 2024

MickeyD's...

In follow-up to a recent posting, one focused upon how ignorant and stupid and foolish Government policies can negatively impact prices, cause inflation and hurt the poor (what else is new?), I thought I'd take a trip back in time to give my readers a graphic example.  

I recall the first time we heard about one of those brand-new McDonalds restaurants opening near us.  Me and my buds.  Out there in the hinterlands as we were at the time, in very rural Missouri.  Very rural.

So I put together a group of us guys and we drove some 65 miles to the first one to open near us.  It was in St. Joseph, Missouri, and driving 65 miles for a burger advertised night and day on TV sounded like the right thing to do at the time.  Especially since gasoline cost $0.23 cents a gallon at the time.  Yeah.  

We arrived around dark, parked, and went up to the window (there was no drive-thru lanes back then).  I don't recall what my friends ordered, but I had two cheeseburgers, two fries and a vanilla shake.  And got change back out of a $One Dollar Bill!

If you doubt me, I checked their prices back in 1963:  

     -  Cheeseburgers:  $0.19.  

     -  Hamburgers:  $0.15.  

     -  Fries:  $0.10.  

     -  Shakes:  $0.20.  

My total?  $0.78!  Cha-ching!  $Twenty Two Cents back out of my dollar!  Because Missouri wasn't charging sales tax at the time.  I liked it better back then.

What brought all that up was my reading about the poor guy in one of our Blue States who stopped in his local McD's and ordered a Big Mac, large fries and a shake.  His total?

                         $18.19!

Why?  Because Liberals have successfully erased McD's position as our Country's 1st job.  It used to be that fully one out of eight of us got our start working in a McDonalds.  13% of our total population.

Now?  Nobody works at anything!  But here in Taxifornia, our BoyGuv Newsom just wet-dreamed up a new law making the MinWage $20.00 an hour for workers in any fast food operation with 60 stores or more.  Now, it should be known to all my Fellow Patriots out there that CA's MinWage is currently $15.00 (against a Fed MinWage of $7.25!).  Meaning, McDonalds is screwed, due to its own success.  Its smaller competitors skate.  And because our BoyGuv is a dick.

I remind everyone that the starting pay for our Soldiers and Sailors and Marines is just about $15.00 an hour.  For getting shot at! 

So McDonalds is now competing with white tablecloth, sit-down restaurants.  Which means it will slowly go broke.  And so will its fellow competitors.  Their franchisees will not be able to continue without enormous price increases.  And folks won't be able to pay those prices, making "fast food" a province of the rich.  

And the owners will be forced to reduce employee hours, lay off staff, employ expensive automation (robots), reduce store hours, and, if none of that works, go out of business.  Quite possibly taking the franchisors, the McD's and the Burger Kings and the Wendy's corporate operations with them.  Because a franchisee that can't earn a profit can't pay its franchise fees.  No franchise fees, no franchisors.      

Thank you, BoyGuv!  You've not only pummeled California into a $74,000,000,000 (with a "B") budget hole, which cannot be filled, our young and dumb voters who can no longer afford a Happy Meal, will probably reward you with a stint or two in the White House!  So you can screw America like you've screwed California!  

I'm glad I won't be around to see it... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chuckmeister welcomes comments. After I check them out, of course. Comment away!