Saturday, July 24, 2021

An Anthem For All!!!

Just read that as a part of the NFL's recent commitment to racial equity and equality, which they think are the same thing, they will permit the playing of the so-called "Black National Anthem" at each game this fall.  And that would be "Lift Ev-Ry Voice And Sing," a hymn written as a poem, later put to music and adopted by Black slaves as a protest anthem.

And which I personally never heard of until a couple of years back.  But hey, I sometimes miss stuff.  I also never heard of "Juneteenth" until recently, either.  Must be me...

Anyway, that brings up a potential problem.  If we're throwing a bone to Blacks in an effort to assuage their feelings, what about Asians?  Yeah, I know there are damn few of them in the NFL, what with more than 68% of its players being Black.  And that's ANOTHER issue we should be talking about!  Proving just how lame the Asian lobbying effort has been, as you can see they still don't have their own anthem.  But there's a few of them, and we should give them their own.  Equity, doncha' know.  

But since I can't think of a popular Asian song, I was thinking of maybe penning one myself.  How about, "Everybody got 1,600 on their SAT's but me!"  Set this to a roadhouse, sort of bluesy little lilt with a steel guitar twang behind it.  What do you think?  Think they'd like it?  Or, perhaps "That track needed layin,' and so did I!"  And then there's, "We're People of Color, Just the Wrong Color!"  Quit while I'm ahead?  Okay...

And the Red folks, too.  Gotta' consider them in all of this.  Even if they don't want it.  I'd bet there's a couple of dozen Native Americans playing in the NFL today, and they need their own anthem.  How about "The Lone Ranger Was Really MY Sidekick!"  Or maybe, "Me know "How," me need chance!"  Too cheesy?  Oh well, we'll keep working on that one...

But in the meantime, we've got some equity to consider here.  And everybody gets his or her (or its) own anthem.  Starting today.  Including any Gypsies.  And the Inuits.  And the Javanese.  And everybody from Burkina-Faso.  And each of them must be played before the kickoff.  In 4/4 time.  

I wonder if they'll be any time left to play the game?  I wonder if there will be any fans left after all this silliness has subsided?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chuckmeister welcomes comments. After I check them out, of course. Comment away!