Sunday, November 27, 2022

"Memories..."

As I prepare to "wink out" from this plane of existence, and embrace the one that follows, with gusto, I'm reminded of one of the most important realities you "nears" will face.

"Nears," as in "near" to your just reward...  

And that reality is, you spend way too much time making memories during your life than enjoying the memories you're making.

For example, I've played pool and raced cars professionally, served in our military, lived in a foreign land for 3 years, travelled to 37 countries, and then garnered a degree to prepare me to compete in the World.   

I then was found by my lovely wife, a terrific R.N., who then helped me create four lovely daughters.  As I always said, it was my pleasure.  And then she helped me to grow them, and get them educated, and off to their careers.  And then married off to four great sons-in-law, and lived to see them produce nine stupendous grandkids.  

All the while running a medical services business along with my wife for more than 38 years.  And helping to treat more than 10,000 seriously ill patients.  And saving the lives of hundreds and hundreds of them.

A 24 hour-a-day, 7 days-per-week, medical services business, for more than 38 years...

I liken it to that moving "people walk" at LAX airport.  You know, the one you have to move fast jump on, and then you can't get off until the end; when you retire.  Years and years later.  Long after you made the decision to jump on.  At which time you finally, finally have the opportunity to catch your breath and review your life's accomplishments.  Your life's memories...  

Too bad, isn't it, that in today's high pressure society one doesn't really have the chance to slow down and enjoy those memories while they're being made.  We're running too fast.  We have too many things to do and places to go.  But it sure is nice to have those wonderful memories once you've grown old... 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Chuckmeister welcomes comments. After I check them out, of course. Comment away!